Police officer basic minimum requirements:
- You must be a United States citizen and at least 21 years of age by graduation from the police academy.
- You must possess at least a high school diploma or a General Education Development (GED) Certificate recognized by the State of Maryland.
- You must possess a sufficient level of fitness to successfully complete physical agility screening.
- You must possess a valid driver's license, at least equivalent to a Maryland Class C License, at the time of appointment to the academy.
- You must possess the ability to successfully complete a written entrance level examination, an oral interview, physical agility test, drug screening, medical screening, and psychological screening.
- You must possess an excellent moral character and background that will withstand an in-depth investigation, including polygraph examination(s).
- You must enter into a two-year employment contract with the City of Frederick upon being hired.
- View more information on physical testing
Stage 1: Pre-Offer
- Complete an Application for Employment and an Affirmative Action Data Sheet and submit both forms to the Frederick Police Department.
- Complete a Personal History Questionnaire (PHQ) and submit it for screening.
- Successfully complete an entry-level written examination.
- Appear before an Oral Board for interview by police officers.
- Submit to a background investigation and any subsequent polygraph examination(s).
- Submit to a physical agility component.
Stage 2: Post-Offer
- Submit to written psychological screening and psychological interview.
- Submit to a physical examination.
- Submit to drug screening.
The City of Frederick is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, military service, disability, or sexual orientation. Reasonable accommodation provided upon request.